(888) 698-3951

Contact Us

Send Us An Email


Successor In Interest

Starting April 18, 2018, successors in interest to property secured by mortgage loans are now entitled to the same certain rights under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) and the Truth ...
Continue reading "Successor In Interest" »

The Able Accounts for Special Needs Individuals

Individuals who will be eligible for the CalABLE program have even more reason to look forward to its launch later this year following the passage of CA Senate Bill 218 last October. Signed in 2014 by ...
Continue reading "The Able Accounts for Special Needs Individuals" »

Filial Laws: So Who is Legally Responsible for Elder Parents?

Filial, meaning due from the daughter or son, is a funny word to say. However, filial laws have, in recent years, garnered increasing attention for their serious implications. If you have heard of ...
Continue reading "Filial Laws: So Who is Legally Responsible for Elder Parents?" »

Special Needs Trust Fairness, At Last

December 13, 2016 marked the end of a 23 year-long period where mentally fit individuals where barred from establishing their own special needs trusts. The Special Needs Trust Fairness Act, part of ...
Continue reading "Special Needs Trust Fairness, At Last" »

Are Your Seniors Being Financially Exploited?

We expect our golden years to be relaxing and rewarding. Yet as we grow older, we tend to start relying on other to assist us with things that we could once handle on our own. It is during those times ...
Continue reading "Are Your Seniors Being Financially Exploited?" »

Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts and You

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably come to a point in your life where you’ve realized you should start planning for the future, and we’re not talking about yours. Planning ...
Continue reading "Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts and You" »

Lawful Grounds for Discharge from a Skilled Nursing Facility and Defenses

As an elder law attorney and advocate I often get frantic calls from family members when a skilled nursing facility has advised them that they plan to the discharge the resident within a week or days. ...
Continue reading "Lawful Grounds for Discharge from a Skilled Nursing Facility and Defenses" »

The California Contractors' State License Law

The California Contractors’ State License Law (“License Law”) under California Business and Professions Code was enacted to protect the general public from incompetence and ...
Continue reading "The California Contractors' State License Law" »

A Special Needs Trust Can Now Be Designated as an Option Beneficiary

Effective January 1, 2017, Defined Benefit Program members and Cash Balance Benefit Program participants may designate a special needs trust or supplemental needs trust, as an option or annuity ...
Continue reading "A Special Needs Trust Can Now Be Designated as an Option Beneficiary" »

New Medi-Cal Recovery Law - Senate Bill (SB) 833

The new law provides for the following: Medi-Cal recovery applies only to those who are 55 years or older, were in nursing homes or participated in home and community based services; Avoids recovery ...
Continue reading "New Medi-Cal Recovery Law - Senate Bill (SB) 833" »

The Trump Presidency & Your Estate

Last month's election of Donald Trump and Republican majorities in both our Senate and our House of Representatives have raised a number of significant financial uncertainties for some Americans-- ...
Continue reading "The Trump Presidency & Your Estate" »

Nursing Homes and What You Need to Know About Admission Agreements

Putting a love one in a nursing home is very difficult. When I had to place my Mom in a facility I cried the whole way. The last thing you need when you get there is to be bombarded with paperwork and ...
Continue reading "Nursing Homes and What You Need to Know About Admission Agreements" »

Be Careful When Signing Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements

You hear about nursing homes in connection with abuse and neglect all the time. So if you are putting a loved one in a home, be careful not to get trapped into signing an arbitration agreement. ...
Continue reading "Be Careful When Signing Nursing Home Arbitration Agreements" »

What are Continuing Care Retirement Communities [CCRC]?

Continuing Care Retirement Communities or CCRCs, are retirement communities with accommodations for independent living, assisted living, and nursing home care, offering residents a continuum of care. ...
Continue reading "What are Continuing Care Retirement Communities [CCRC]?" »

Quiet Title Action in California

What is it? It is used in determining who the true owner of a property is or who holds the interests in a property. Quiet Title Action suits come about because of the various types of interests that ...
Continue reading "Quiet Title Action in California" »

Consolidation of Actions

The court may consolidate cases which involve common questions of law or fact, or involve identical parties with causes that could have been joined in a single action. California Code of Civil ...
Continue reading "Consolidation of Actions" »

A Few Considerations in Commercial Leasing

Types of Retail leases Free-Standing Building Not located in Shopping Center Multitenant Building Not Located in Shopping Center Shopping Center (enclosed malls, open-air centers, and special purpose ...
Continue reading "A Few Considerations in Commercial Leasing" »

What is Portability?

Portability was added to the Job Creation Act of 2010 to allow the estate of a decedent who is survived by a spouse to make a “portability election” to allow the surviving spouse to apply ...
Continue reading "What is Portability?" »

The QTIP Trust

Estate planning requires special attention in a second marriage when one of the spouses has more assets than the other. One of the tools to help couples in this situation is the QTIP Trust or ...
Continue reading "The QTIP Trust" »

What is a First Party Special Needs Trust?

A First Party Special Needs Trust [“SNT”] is established by a disabled person to hold their assets so that they do not lose government benefits. An SNT is used to hold an inheritance, ...
Continue reading "What is a First Party Special Needs Trust?" »

The Able Act

The ABLE Act – Achieving a Better Life Experience –was enacted by the federal government in late 2014. This Act’s purpose is to provide a means for special needs individuals to save ...
Continue reading "The Able Act" »

Deadline to file a notice of appeal

You can file a notice of appeal as soon as the order or judgment you want to appeal is signed by the superior court judge and stamped "Filed" by the court clerk. The judgment is ...
Continue reading "Deadline to file a notice of appeal" »

Benefits of Having a Comprehensive Durable Power of Attorney

It is so important to have a detailed and comprehensive durable power of attorney. Unfortunately many durable powers of attorney are too general and cause problems, especially for seniors. Before a ...
Continue reading "Benefits of Having a Comprehensive Durable Power of Attorney" »

What Are the Roles of Elder Lawyers?

Elder law is not just about the elderly. It can also include individuals with special needs, veterans who need benefits and estate planning. Since our health care and financial needs change as we age, ...
Continue reading "What Are the Roles of Elder Lawyers?" »

Veterans Administration Pension Benefits

Veterans Administration Pension Benefits are paid to veterans who were in military service during wartime and who have little or no income. Veterans who have serious disabilities may qualify for Aid ...
Continue reading "Veterans Administration Pension Benefits" »

Santaella Jahangiri LLP - San Ramon Estate Planning & Business Lawyer
111 Deerwood Road
Suite 200

San Ramon, CA 94583
Phone: (925) 831-4840

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Privacy Policy   |    Site Map

(888) 698-3951